A School for the West
In 1929, a young woman by the name of Elizabeth Sage Hare dreamed of a school built on traditions, excellence, and a progressive commitment to academic advancement. This school would not only thrive in the cultural setting of the West, but more importantly it would shape the academic curriculum for youth in preparing them for college.
In 1930, with the help of Colorado Springs entrepreneurs such as Spencer Penrose, the boarding school for boys opened. It wasn’t until 1975 that the school became coeducational. Today, the school serves 240 students from 24 states and 21 countries. It remains a boarding and day school focused on providing a rigorous college-preparatory curriculum in academics, athletics and the arts.
The Wicks and the Sintons valued the attention to such commitment to education. Starting in the 1980s, they found their commitment to supporting the institution and a lifetime of academic excellence through annual gifts. Furthermore, they also supported the institution with their involvement in the Casa Serena Society.
No matter the size, annual giving is a heartfelt way to support to an organization. Similar to a business earning a profit to further deliver products and services for their customers, nonprofits rely on individual donors and grants from foundations to keep the lights on and services plenty for those in need.